Dear parents of 5/6 jcc
Please find the latest communication re the learning in 5/6jcc.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me
Grade 5/6 Overview Term 2
In Reading, we are continuing to build the skills good readers use to comprehend texts. We are continuing to develop our understanding of the different roles in Literature Circles and making sure we are engaging in in depth discussion to analyse the text we are reading. As we develop these skills we are focusing on forming our own opinions about what we read and justifying these with evidence.
In Writing, we are working on revision writing Persuasive and Narrative Texts in preparation for the Year 5 sitting the Naplan. Year 6’s are being extended by looking at the criteria for writing these texts in year 7. After Naplan we will then be focusing on writing Science Practical Reports working with our Inquiry topic, Chemical Science. We will be looking at the expectations such as Aims, Hypothesis, Method, Results, Evaluation and Conclusion.
In Religion, we have also worked to develop an informed opinion as we think about current issues that we see to be unjust. The students are beginning engage in the process of expressing their own thinking, listening to the thinking of others, finding out the perspective the Church and our faith and then using this to enhance their understanding and opinion. This has been an enlightening process as the students have been focusing on listening attentively to each other and begin to deepen their discussions and understanding.
In Maths, we are continuing to revise the four operations forming a strong foundation as we move into challenging problem solving situations. In the coming weeks we will begin to explore different strategies we can use to solve open ended problems and methodically show our thinking. Weekly Times Tables Trials will continue with practice expected through homework. The students have been encouraged to use apps and online games to consolidate their understanding.
Just a few reminders:
- Grade 6 Family Mass/ Confirmation Commitment Mass is this coming Sunday 1st Please arrive 15 minutes before the mass so the children can be prepared and fulfil their particular roles.
- Due to commitment of the opposing side Interschool Sport on Friday 6th May has been changed to an afternoon game. The game will begin at 1:45pm. Due to this alteration, some venues for the sports have been changed. Below are the venues for each sport.
- Netball : St Bedes Netball Courts
- Football: Leigh Park
- Soccer & Teeball: Maclaey Park
- In preparation for NAPLAN (week 5) the Grade 5 students have / will complete one practice test for Reading, Writing, Numeracy and Language Conventions. When completed, the students will reflect on their learning and set personal goals to help them during this process.
- Next week on Tuesday is our Confirmation Faith Night. It would be fantastic to see as many parents there as possible. On this night you will see how the children learn in the classroom and engage in in depth thinking, discussion and reflection on human dignity and our world.
- Please ensure diaries continue to be signed every Thursday night and that your child/ren records the title of the book read alongside the number of pages read each night.
Key Dates for Term 2
Sunday 1st May – Confirmation Commitment Mass/ Grade 6 Family Mass @11am
Tuesday 3rd May – Confirmation Faith Night
Thursday 5th May – Year 5/6 jcc attending Morning Mass at 9.15
Week of May 9th – NAPLAN
Friday 13th May – District Cross Country
Sunday 15th May – Pentecost
Monday 16th May – School Closure Day
Wednesday 25th May – St Bede’s Feast Day
Friday 27th May – Confirmation Reflection Day
Friday 3rd June – Feast of the Sacred Heart – whole school mass @9.15am
Sunday 5th June – Confirmation
Monday 13th June – Queen’s Birthday Public Holiday
Thursday 23rd June – End of Term 2 : Students finish @1.10pm
Parent Teacher Interviews@2-8pm
Friday 24th June – Parent Teacher Interviews @8am – 12pm